Where is your company’s domain registered and when does it expire? If you’re like many executives and managers you have no idea. How do I know? I talk to them all the time.
Here’s a typical scenario: ten years ago your company launched a web site…no one in-house knew where to start so
the person who claimed to know how to program their VCR was given the task of registering a domain for the company. This person registered the domain but used their name, address, and hotmail account. What’s more this individual may no longer even be employed by the company, probably could care less, and hopefully is not disgruntled with their former employer.
What would be the consequences to your business if your Website was suddenly gone and all your company email accounts ceased working or now featured a spam site (or worse)? Does this sound crazy? While this scenarios might be on the extreme, you are guaranteed some degree of misery and loss if you let your registration lapse.
If you are not immediately and unquestionably certain where your domain is registered, and more importantly to whom your domain is legally registered, stop everything right now and get it fixed!
- Access the Whois public database and enter your domain name. Assuming your domain does not have a private registration, look through the list of information and find the following:
- Registrant Name: If this is not your name or the company’s name you’re at risk.
- Admin Name: Do you know this person? Do you trust this person with your entire business? Your domain needs to be registered under a name of a corporate officer, owners or executives—not an employee. All it takes is one disgruntled employee to reek havoc on your business.
- If you need help registering, renewing, or transferring a domain name please visit https://virsafe.com or call one of our domain registration experts at 480.624.2500.
More information on domain registration:
- How to protect your domain name from hijackers, porn pirates, and your registrar.
- Why it matters to master your domain
- For general information on domain registration visit the Virsafe domain registration info page.